Sunday 17 July 2016

CRISPR/Cas9 Workshop & Some Final Thoughts


On Saturday morning TAGC held a number of interesting workshops. You could learn about functional genomics for gene function discovery, how to find a job in academia, how to utilize NCBI databases for researching model organisms... And almost twenty more! There really was something for everyone. I decided to attend the CRISPR-based Genome Engineering workshop, and I am so glad I did. The first speaker, Alexandre Paix from Johns Hopkins University, started off with an explanation of the CRISPR/Cas9 system. This method of genome editing is based on an RNA defense system used by bacteria to protect themselves from viruses. By using this system, researchers are able to cut DNA at a precise location by using a guide RNA with the desired complimentary sequence to enable binding. What is so amazing is that not only can it be performed in a test tube, but it can also be done in the nucleus of a living cell! Another great presentation during this workshop was by Matt Schwartz from the University of Utah. He described SapTrap, a plasmid assembly pipeline that enables high throughput gene modification using CRISPR/Cas9. The audience was engaged and all speakers were asked a few questions after their talks. I was going to attempt to describe the details of SapTrap, but this abstract does a really excellent job. 
After the workshop, it was time to say goodbye to TAGC 2016, goodbye to Orlando, and goodbye to the amazing people I had met these past few days. Gathering my bags and enjoying the last sights and sounds of the conference environment, it was time to head to Orlando International Airport.
As I sat on the air-conditioned plane looking out into the bright Orlando afternoon, my head was a whir of thoughts and ideas. This conference was bigger than I imagined, and although I knew it would leave a positive impact on me, it was abundantly better than I could have dreamed. There were the big things that made it excellent - the passionate speakers, the educational workshops, the scientists from around the globe, the beautiful location... But there were also the little things that tied it together and made it one for the books - my conversation with Lifang about ciliate genetics, the hour-long friendly debate/discussion about fluconazole and anti-fungal resistance with Alex and the learned postdoc, the authenticity of the speakers at the Women in Genetics Networking Event, getting to know many fellow undergrads, grad students, postdocs, the endless rows of quality research posters in the grand Crystal Ballroom....

I feel extremely blessed to have had this opportunity, and I am so thankful for everyone that organized it (thank you GSA!), supported me with funding (thank you UFV!) and gave me the opportunity to do research in the first place (thank you Dr. James Bedard!) 

I think that when people get together for an event like this, great things are bound to happen. Who knows what connections were made and what ideas were sparked that will bring new projects and discoveries to fruition in the upcoming years and decades? 
I hope you have enjoyed this snapshot of my experience at TAGC 2016. Thank you for reading and following along. It has been a blast! 

- Vivienne 

P.S. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them down below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment