Wednesday 13 July 2016

Vancouver --> Toronto --> Orlando

If someone ever tells you to hop on a plane to Orlando, Florida, hop on that plane with gusto and you will thank yourself! I am typing this from my hotel room at the Orlando World Center Marriott. My head is slightly fuzzy from being awake for so long, but the sheer excitement of being here and the beauty my eyes have taken in since arriving here has kept me awake and smiling.
So far I've seen conference attendees flooding quickly into the conference center. How can I tell, you ask? Well, the CRISPR shirt on one attendee and GENETICS written in bold print on another's backpack makes me pretty sure. :) 
This is the very first thing you see when entering the Marriott. The three black columns with abstract blue art are actually elevator shafts! There are stairs just below the globe-like structure that spiral down past a waterfall and lead into an expansive hallway that leads to the many (and I mean MANY!) conference rooms. 
Once you walk down the stairs and make your way to the ballrooms and meeting spaces, this is what you see. I took this picture before the people flooded in and the signs went up, and you can really see just how incredible this center is. According to the concierge, one of the ballrooms is one of the largest rooms in the entire world. This ballroom will hold all of the posters as well as the exhibits.  
Palm trees are present around just about every corner and along every street, flourishing in the balmy heat and daily rainstorms. This is the view directly out of a large window on the convention center floor. 

And more palm trees! This vegetation is so different to anything I've seen in the Pacific Northwest. Taking an ecology class here on a trip would be an excellent field study...  I would be the first to sign up... :) Studying the underlying genetic mechanisms that allow plants to flourish in extreme heat versus cold and winds would be very interesting, especially if students were immersed in the climates themselves! 
Another interesting plant enjoying the Orlando humidity and high temperatures. It was so humid outside that my camera lens began to fog up!
The glorious staircase leading down to the convention center rooms. If you look closely, you may be able to make out the marble of the stairs, which makes up most of the convention walkway's flooring (stunning!)
This is just a small part of the large outdoor pool area. Just look at the detailed structure of  the palm tree trunks. So cool!  
Banana trees (with no fruit, just yet!) make their home right outside the entrance to the food court.
And at last, the stunning view from my room. Every night when the sun sets and the evening breeze sets in the Marriott puts on a laser show, lighting up the pool with vibrant colors and music. It's so beautiful. The fireworks from Disney world can also be seen lighting up the sky at night, with some set off during the day as well.



I hope you have enjoyed this first post and introduction to the setting of the Allied Genetics Conference 2016. I will be posting every day during the conference, and will share stories of the talks, workshops, exhibits, people, and more that I experience. I know that I am going to learn a huge amount from the people I meet, the research I learn about, and the events I attend. After all, TAGC doesn't just stand for the Allied Genetics Conference, but also for the Totally Awesome Genetics Conference (kudos to the GSA for coming up with that!)

Stay tuned for more! 



 - Vivienne 

No comments:

Post a Comment